Friday, July 20, 2007

The Body of Christ (#13)

When I first knew that I would likely be spending time in prison, one of my first fears (there were many) was would the church, the body of Christ, be willing to help me and my family. I'm not talking about a specific church per se, but God's people, those who call themselves believers. I have been skeptical of the church, that is, God's people, and the churches they attend because most of the churches I have attended failed to meet the needs of the very people in the church. I even doubted God. I said, "who is going to be their Dad?"


After three months, I have seen the body of Christ act. It has humbled me, but also has made me proud to be a part of the body of Christ. While it's true that nobody can replace me as the physical "dad," there have been plenty of people who have played with them. In other words, the things I would do with my kids are being done. Most importantly, the spiritual model is there. I know my kids will grow up with a stronger sense for what the body of Christ can accomplish.

I have also witnessed the body of Christ a bigger than a church, or a group of friends in that church. My concept of the body of Christ was usually limited to whatever clique I was attached to at church. I never expected a pastor or elder to do anything or know anything about my struggles. However, I was wrong. From my church in Roseville to my current church in Carmel, I have seen people I don't even know take action to support me, to support others in the body of Christ. People at church I have never heard of were praying for our marriage and for God to work in my life: all of this is happening. Our marriage has survived some difficult times. There are still difficult times ahead, but I know my wife and I have discovered true unconditional love for each other.

I've also seen the body of Christ meet basic, physical needs. I'm so thankful for the financial support we have received as well as the visits to help my wife with the boys. I've had people I've never met provide money for me. How great is God when something like that happens!

The lesson I have learned is a simple one. I can trust that even though we are sinful, we, as the body of Christ, can still be used by God in tangible ways to help others. It's a testimony that has powerful effects. I'm putting into practice what I've experienced through many of you. I'm learning to display God's love through the body of Christ by helping others.

Jeff

No comments: