Saturday, July 14, 2007

3 Month Update (#12)

I've been here three months now. I have passed Memorial Day, Father's Day, the Fourth of July (my wife's birthday as well is on the fourth), and my birthday (July ninth). I have seen my wife 5 times and my kids 3 times since I entered. I actually consider myself lucky. Some people go months without seeing their families and some guys cannot afford to call their wives. There are many things for which I am thankful. I have a different job now. Instead of picking up trash and watering trees, I now hand out recreation equipment. I like this job because it gives me time to write and read.

I have also joined a soccer league. I've been hurt for 3 weeks, but what fun it is for me to play soccer. I have met a lot of people through soccer and have become more known around camp. the Hispanics call me Beckham. Beckham is a famous English soccer player who recently signed a $250 million contract to play soccer in the US (he just arrived in the US and should play for the LA Galaxy on July 21st - if anyone cared - VCmoney edit). The call me Beckham because I'm the only white player that is decent and Beckham is the only white player they know. I'm thankful for the chance to play, but also to be accepted. It makes a big difference.

I haven't taken on any new roles in the church here. You have to wait 4 months before you are even considered. At this point, I'm content with meeting the new people and trying to make them feel welcomed. I have been praying with a guy here named Tim. That has been a real blessing and answer to prayer for me. I'm thankful for the encouragement he provides and his faithfulness in praying. I also attend 2 Bible studies, a worship service, and a prayer group. I really enjoy the prayer group. They have helped me through some of the more difficult times int he past 3 months.

I should start taking some classes later this month. I cannot say how grateful I am to those of you who have contributed financially to enable me to take classes. It has been a faith step for me to trust God with my whole life. Thank you for showing me how God uses his people to show his faithfulness. Some of the classes I will be taking are in marketing and advertising through Ohio University that are part of a degree program. I will also take some courses the prison offers that enable me to get different jobs here. One is gardening and anther is quilting. The courses the prison offers are free, but as you can see, they aren't really for job preparation, but to pass the time and for various jobs around the prison.

I also have to say I'm thankful for the fun mail I'm getting. For my birthday, I got the USA today. Thanks to my brother and Todd Nauck (an awesome comic book artist and friend) - (look him up at www.wildguard.com - VCmoney edit) I'm getting comic books sent every month. Several of you also keep me informed about the latest games and toys as well as life (Thanks Tim, John B, and Trace). I've tried to write everyone on my address list. I've still got a few more to go through, and I apologize to those that I have not written yet.

Several of you have asked what I need. I try to direct those to Scott (my brother) or my sister (Jill). But, if you want to send me something, here is what is acceptable: any book purchased through Amazon.com, Borders.com, Barnesandnoble.com (hardbound or paperback). Paperback books can be send directly to me (use media mail, it's the cheapest). Magazines must come through a subscription. You cannot send a stamped self-addressed envelope (I have no idea why). If you want to send me money to help with postage, the best way is to send a US Postal money order (any money order will do, but a postal order gets to me the fastest) made payable to Jeffrey Wells. Put your address as the return address. Then, mail it to me as if it were a letter (through the post office). I'm always looking for people to help Laura and the boys with gift cards to Target or Trader Joes. Laura really appreciates that. I just want to say thank you all and that God is blessing me here through you.

Jeff

2 comments:

Brian Bajari said...

Hey Jeff,

It is good to hear how you're doing - and it is good to know that you're working out, playing soccer, and keeping yourself generally busy. Can I call you Beckham too?

There are nights when I wake and think about you and am prompted to pray for you - there are many at PM who tell me the same. You are dearly loved Jeff. I'll write to you soon.

Peace and grace.
Brian

Mr. B. said...

Thanks Scott, for the posts.
-John