Thursday, May 10, 2007

Update on Jeff

I have talked to both Jeff and Laura recently, and so I wanted to give an update on what Jeff is doing. He hasn't given me an official update for this blog, so these are my words and opinion.

Some of you may already know that Laura was able to visit Jeff on Friday, May 4th. I just got a letter from Jeff, the first he has written and I have received since that visit. He said it made his weekend. Laura said that she was able to sit and talk with Jeff at a table, and there were some gardens around. I'm not saying it was idyllic, as it was still a prison, but much better than Laura had expected. I'm preparing for a visit in July, so I'm thankful that Laura can help prepare me for what to expect. Some of you may know, but Jeff's camp is located behind a medium security level prison, so there are walls with barbed wire and guard towers, etc. around it. Jeff's camp is behind this, and has no walls. So, upon arrival, all one sees is the medium security prison. As both my mom and Laura have now told me, it is a somewhat daunting approach to the camp in which Jeff is located.

Speaking of gardens, Jeff has recently informed me that he takes care of two rose gardens for his job. I'm not sure if he still picks up trash or takes care of the gardens or both. At any rate, he sometimes feels like he is somewhere else when in the tranquility of the garden, which he says is a nice distraction from prison life. I have heard that prison offers some pretty vulgar language, and I was hoping that a camp would be different. Jeff has informed me that I was wrong, so any distraction from that is probably welcome.

Jeff still asks for prayer for a Christian friend. He says is starting to recognize faces, but one guy who reached out to him and whom Jeff liked was recently released. So, Jeff is still looking for a Christian friend. He asks for your continued prayers for that.

No comments: