Saturday, September 8, 2007

Rejoice (#18)

I've wanted to share my thoughts about the goodness of God. This topic has been on my mind and heart for well over 2 years now. However, I don't think I can put everything I've learned into one entry. Also, I don't think I've learned all that God has for me in the area of his goodness. I don't think I will ever fully grasp it though. I will share over the next several weeks some thoughts on God's goodness.

In one of the bible studies at Taft Correctional Institution (it sounds like a place of higher learning, but it's not) we are studying Philippians. The leader of the study, who is an elder at a church where he lives (this is Doug that I wrote about in my last email - Scott), taught on Phil. 4:4. (By the way, Doug is in for misrepresenting his financial status on a government form and that's why he's serving 33 months. Jeff says that the little things matter and it's not just between you and God - Scott) The passage says, "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again, I say rejoice!" The dictionary defines rejoice as "to give or feel joy." Without delving into the context of Philippians, I think we can take Paul's command and go with it. Paul is telling the Philippian church to feel join in the Lord. We can also do that. However, we can't allow our circumstances to dictate when we rejoice. The bible study leader's point was that the act of rejoicing will have an effect on you. To proactively rejoice or find joy in the Lord will help defend you against despair, depression, loneliness, and sadness. We all know that once we feel despair that it is difficult to rejoice in much of anything. Rejoicing is a preventative measure against the trials and difficulties you will face. If you aren't facing any difficulties, then you have much to rejoice about. If you find yourself lonely, sad, or in despair or depressed, it is much more difficult to rejoice; to find joy in anything much less in the Lord. I have learned in prison that I can always find something in which I can rejoice in the Lord.

Some of you may be surprised by that. Here we have very little. I own 12 pairs of socks, 10 t-shirts, 5 pairs of pants, 3 pairs of grey shorts, 1 sweatshirt, 2 towels, and 1 pair of shoes. I cannot buy cereal. All I get is corn flakes. Yet, despite not having the normal comforts of the outside, the action of rejoicing in prison is easier because I am here. I can see how God provides for me. I cannot go anywhere beyond the approved 10 acre complex. I walk our track sometimes 20-25 times a day. Yet, I am learning to see God's glory in wildflowers, sunsets, or in regular conversations. I am learning to rejoice in the Lord always. As I am learning to do so, I'm finding that I don't despair as much, that I'm not as lonely. It's not a choice. I can't just say that I'm going to rejoice or be joyful today. It's an attitude adjustment, a paradigm shift. You have to really appreciate who you are in Christ, what you have through Christ, and how Christ will be with you. I started my shift by simply being thankful for what I had. I found that I was much better of than I thought I was. It was a very small step. Each day I would find something for which I could be thankful. I would write it down for my wife. Here are a few because I think they will show you what I mean by starting small.
Ice Machine (it's very hot here, and we have one in our dorm - it's awesome)
Dr. Pepper (I love this stuff)
Cotton Mattress (most people don't have these and so I'm very fortunate. It's like camping every night)
Pop Tarts (this gets me through those bad food days)
Soccer Field (I love soccer and I get to play in prison)
Comic Books
USA Today

Rejoice in the Lord always. I think Paul had something here. I hope you can find something each day in your life that will show you God's goodness so that you can find joy in the Lord despite circumstances.

Jeff

No comments: