Saturday, June 16, 2007

Some Other Prisoners (#8)

Before I get to the blog, I have only received one blog update from Jeff in the past 10 days or so. I have talked to him a couple of times and written a few letters. Here is what Jeff has been talking and writing about. He wants to read comics. He says those are nice, quick reads, and he is able to trade them for other things pretty easily (I guess there is somewhat of a barter economy in the camp). Also, there is a card game based on Star Wars that he would like to have his son, Connor get. I don't know too much about the Star Wars game to try to explain here, but if you want to get Connor a couple of packs, you can find information about it at Wizkidsgames.com.

Also, he is playing on a soccer team in the camp. His team is pretty good, and they call him Beckham (which they mean as a compliment). I think he would prefer to be called Lampard or Gerrard. But how many people outside of England know who they are? Anyway, on to the blog.

I want to share specifically about some of the men I've met here. God has answered one prayer. I had been praying for a friend with whom I could pray and share, find encouragement and just process what is happening. About a month ago, God put on my heart a guy named Tim. He had been going to all of the Christian services like me. He seemed to be a quiet guy. So, one day I asked him if he wanted to get together once a week to pray. he gave an enthusiastic yes. So, we have been praying every Friday. It's been a great time for me. Tim is here because he could not pay his child support, which is ironic because now he really can't. However, Tim has a great attitude and views his "encampment" as a blessing. He has learned so much about God. I had the privilege of giving him an NIV Bible. He was thrilled. He wanted me to sign it in the front part where it says "presented by" etc. It was an honor and humbling at the same time. An honor in that I was able to give him something that gave him so much excitement, but humbling in that I have so many NIV Bibles at my house that I consider them to be clutter. There are people who want bibles. In fact, I could use another 2 or 3 to give away.

That leads me to another guy I met. My loving wife told me before I came to Taft that she wanted me to spend time talking with these men, getting to know them, and sharing my life in Christ with them. One night about one and half months ago, a friend of my cube mate's was sitting in our cube. I started talking to him even though I was in the middle of a letter. He shared a lot about his life, a life of drugs it turns out. He has 2 kids an is divorced, but is engaged to be married in July (he's only here for 2 more months). I shared about my family and how I felt there was a purpose for me here. In the middle of our discussion I realized that I was late for church. I said I had to go to church. He asked if he could come. He's been coming ever since. I would really like to give him an NIV Bible and the purpose driven life book. you don't have to buy these for me, but if you have them around in paperback, you can send them to me, they will go to good use. I would also like to ask for prayer for him. His name is Ron.

There are two other men, Steve and Ken, that I would like prayer for. They cam in about the same time I did. They didn't go to church until about a month ago. Since that time I've tried to talk to them. Both of them are going to attend a bible study with me on Thursdays. It's kind of a discussion oriented bible study. I think it will be good for them to be able to ask questions and hear feedback from other men who are also going along the spiritual journey. Ken also wants an NIV Bible. I think Steve may want one at some point as well. (By the way, they give us New King James versions here for free, but new or non-believers find them difficult to read).

Those are some of the men I've met. Please continue to pray that every day I would reflect who Christ is in action and word here.

Jeff

No comments: